The use of curry is a more recent addition to West African recipes. Curry mixes well with the many clasical African ingredients to create modern versions of the tradition foods. The hot curry powder blends nicely with the coconuym milk to create a tangy Nigerian soup, tempered with the mild taste of the coconut milk.
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 3 cups chicken stock, reserving 1/4 cup
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons Malawi Curry Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup prepared grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- * Garnishes: 1/2 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup toasted coconut, minced parsley
Combine the coconut milk and the chicken stock in a large, heavy casserole and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat slightly and add the curry powder, salt, pepper, grated coconut, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Mix the cornstarch with the reserved stock and add it in a steady stream to the simmering soup, stirrring constantly until the soup thickens slightly.
Serve the soup hot with all of the garnishes.