For this traditional appetizer the vegetables can be served chopped or very briefly processed in a food processor or blender to make a chunky dip. Either way, serve it with warm, fresh pita bread.
- 2 large onions, sliced into thick rounds
- 2 red bell peppers
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 small hot pepper, such as serrano
- 1 (7-ounce) can tuna, packed in water
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
Over the flame of your gas range, under a broiler, or on a grill, cook the onions until the edges char slightly and the onions soften. Transfer the onions to a plate to cool.
Over the flame, char the bell peppers, tomatoes and hot pepper until dark and blistered. Place them in a bowl and cover with a dish towel for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove the stems, seeds, and charred skin, then dice. Dice the onion.
Place the vegetables on a flat serving platter and top with the tuna, feta and hard-boiled eggs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, stir together the lemon juice, olive oil and oregano and pour it over the platter.