The interesting combination of shrimp and bananas gives this west African dish an exotic flair. It is light and delicious. Serve it with hot, cooked rice
- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh or frozen okra
- 1 large ripe banana, cubed
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pound cooked shrimp or prawns
- * Juice of 1 fresh lime or lemon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups water
Heat the oil in a casserole, and add the chopped onion, and saute for 1 minute.
Cut the tops off of the okra and silce thinly. Frozen okra should be thawed just enough to slice. Add the okra to the sauteed onions.
Add the cubed banana and the tomatoes to the onion mixture and simmer for 3 minutes. Salt. Then, add this mixture to the onion mixture. Add the water, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes, check the water level to be sure it doesn't dry out.