The flavor of peppers dominates this powerful, spiced up broth. This recipe can also be used as a vegetarian stock for making other soups and stews. It is an elegant example of a first course soup that can precede any entree.
• 4 red bell peppers, seeds removed, quartered
• 4 green bell peppers, seeds removed, quartered
• 6 large ripe tomatoes, quartered
• 2 large onions, quartered
• 2 large hot New Mexican green chiles, split, seeds and stemsremoved
• 3 whole bay leaves
• 3 large jalapeño chiles, split, seeds and stems removed
• ½ cup chopped parsley
• 2 whole cloves
• 3 large cloves garlic
• 1 ½ tablespoons salt
• 6 quarts boiling water
In a large stockpot, combine all ingredients except the water. Pour the boiling water over the ingredients and boil for 10 minutes. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 ½ hours.
Remove from the heat and cool. Strain through a fine sieve. Serve hot or cold.