Chef Jim Heywood teaches at the Culinary Institute of America, and is a Fiery Foods Show favorite. He always offers a lot of cooking tips and information, as well as incredible food!
For the Dry Rub:
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon green jalapeño powder
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Tellicherry pepper
- 2 teaspoons granulated onion
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in a tightly covered jar.
- Chicken Breast Sauté
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 8 teaspoons dry rub
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2-3 ounces dry sherry wine
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, cut in julienne strips 1" long
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
- 3/4 cup sweet red chili puree
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound cooked, drained penne pasta
Garnish: 1/2 cup aged Monterey jack cheese, fresh oregano sprigs
Rub each chicken breast with 2 teaspoons dry rub. Refrigerate until needed. In a large sauté pan, melt the butter. When the butter is hot, sauté the chicken breast until golden brown and done through. Remove from the pan. Add the shallots, jalapeños and garlic to the pan and sauté briefly. Add the sherry wine and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and then add the sweet red chili puree. Bring to a simmer, and stir well. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cream. Adjust seasoning with salt if needed.
To serve toss the sauce with the hot penne pasta, but save a little sauce for the chicken. Put the coated pasta on a dinner plate, place a coated chicken breast in the center. Garnish with grated aged Monterey jack cheese and some sprigs of fresh oregano.