Healthy Quick Chicken Soup
Since capsaicin breaks up nasal congestion and gives us the "salsa sniffles," try this quick chicken soup cure for your next cold.
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried epazote (optional)
- 1 cup chunky-style tomato based salsa
- 2 14-1/2-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Vegetable oil spray
Spray a heavy saucepan with cooking oil. Heat, and add the chicken, chili powder, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes over medium heat.
Add the epazote, salsa, broth, corn, and rice. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink.
To serve, stir in the cilantro and garnish with additional fresh cilantro.