Tomato-Orange Ginger Soup
This is an exciting blend of fresh, light flavors that makes a great beginning-of-the-meal palate stimulator during the summer. It has beautiful color and a slight bite from the ginger. A thinly sliced lime wheel makes an excellent garnish when floated on the soup with a dollop of sour cream.
• 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped fine
• 3 cloves garlic, chopped fine
• 1/8 pound sweet butter
• Zest of ½ medium orange
• 6 cups quarts pureed fresh tomatoes
• 1 5-ounce can tomato paste
• 6 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
• 1 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
• 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 3/4 tablespoon salt
• Cayenne to taste
Sauté the onion and garlic lightly in the butter but do not brown. Add the zest and stir well. Transfer to a large pot or stock pot and add the remaining ingredients and stir well. Bring almost to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot or allow to cool before serving.