This salad travels well and can be made a day ahead. If you refrigerate it overnight, bring it to room temperature before serving.
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
Cook the carrots in salted boiling water until they are crisp tender, about 8 minutes. Drain well.
Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add the cumin and cayenne and heat until aromatic, about 1 minute. Add the carrots, 1/2 cup water and vinegar. Simmer over medium heat until the liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool. Mix in cilantro and season with salt and pepper.