All this dish needs is a fresh salad and you've got a meal!
- 2 cups hickory chips for smoking
- 10 yellow tomatoes and 10 red tomatoes
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 Vidalia or other sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups dry white wine
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups chopped fresh basil.
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme
- 2 canned chipotle peppers
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, minced
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound bowtie pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
Soak the hickory chips in water 24 hrs in advance of grilling. Add the hickory chips to the grill 5 minutes prior to cooking the tomatoes.
Slice the tomatoes in half and place them on the grill. Grill them for 10 minutes at 250°F and remove them from the grill.
In a large sauce pan combine the olive oil, onion, and garlic and saute until the onion is golden brown. Deglaze the pan with the wine and add grilled tomatoes along with the chicken broth. Add the basil, thyme, chipotles, vinegar, vinegar and salt and pepper. Cover the saucepan and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Remove the sauce pan lid and add remaining 1 cup white wine for reduction. Continue cooking on low heat for and additional 1 hour.
In a large pan, bring 2 quarts of salted water to a rapid boil. Add the pasta and cook until done 15 minutes prior to serving. Strain the pasta and serve pasta on a large serving dish and cover with sauce and sprinkle with cheese as desired.