Durban Madras Chicken Curry
This recipe and others can be found in the following article:
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces or 6 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Durban Masala or red curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh ginger and garlic
- 1 pod cardamom
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- Chopped cilantro for garnish.
- Salt to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy based pan and cook the onions until they are golden brown. Add the spices, ginger, garlic and tomatoes and allow to simmer for five minutes. Add the chicken and season to taste and cook for 30 minutes stirring at intervals. When the chicken is nearly cooked add the cardamom and frozen peas and simmer for 10 minutes. Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice, chutney and sambals.