Fish is such a common and cheap food in West Africa, it's no wonder that there are numerous recipes for spicy fish cakes such as these. Try them served hot with a spicy dipping sauce.
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound cooked fish fillets, skinned
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- Toasted crumbs for coating
- Safflower oil for frying
- Dipping sauce of choice
Cook the potato in a little salted water, drain, mash and season with salt and pepper. Flake the fish and mix with mashed potato, onion, parsley, cayenne, nutmeg and beaten egg.
Drop spoonfuls of the fish cake mixture into the crumbs and coat evenly. Form the mixture into patties with your hands, flattening them slightly.
Fry the fish cakes in hot oil until they are crisp and golden. Remove from the oil and drain on paper towels.
Heat Scale: Varies, depending on the dipping sauce you choose.