This delicious thick, yellow soup is rich in flavor and chilies. Serve it as a first course and serve the Fruity Lamb Tajin as the entree.
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 4 fresh jalapeno or serrano chiles, seeds and stems removed, and minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/2 pounds yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup half and half cream
- *Garnishes: chopped parsley and fresh grated ginger
Heat the oil in a heavy, large casserole and add the chopped onion and carrot and saute for 1 minute. Then, add the chiles, tomatoes, and cubed yams and saute and toss for 1 minute. Add beef stock, salt, pepper, and bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the soup from the heat, allow it to cool for 20 minutes, and then puree it in a food processor or blender. Do this in bactches, if necessary.
Return the soup to the casserole and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a simmer, and the add the cream in a steady stream, stirring constantly.
Serve the soup hot and garnish with the parsley and ginger.