In Australia, we use a long loaf of Turkish bread for these sandwiches, but you can use Mexican bolillos or even Kaiser rolls. As you might expect, the sauce is the secret ingredient. The sandwiches can be assembled, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated overnight for grilling the next day if desired.
• 1/2 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
• 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or chili powder
• 1 cup Byron Bay Chilli Co. Spicy Sweet Chilli Sauce
• 1 loaf Turkish bread or 4 rolls
• 2 cups thinly sliced or shredded chicken, pork or beef Salt and pepper to taste
• Sliced red onion
• Sliced avocado
• Shredded cheese of your choice or crumbled feta
In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, cilantro and taco seasoning. Slice the bread into four even hunks and split them open, or just split open the rolls. Spread each half of bread with this mixture and drizzle with chilli sauce. On the bottom half, spread some chicken and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Layer red onion, avocado and cheese on chicken and top with other half of bread. In a dry pan over medium-high heat, on a BBQ griddle, or in a sandwich toaster, toast the sandwiches on both sides until heated through. The bread should be crisp and the cheese melted. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve hot.