Q: Dear Dave,
I have a suggestion to share with you on how to remove the heat from peppers. I’ve done this with very, very hot habaneros and it removed up to 90% of the heat from them.
How it works:
1. Remove stem, seed, and "placenta" from peppers.
2. Place peppers in a small bowl and cover with milk.
3. Heat the milk with the peppers in a microwave until just lukewarm. Let set for about ten minutes.
4. Rinse thoroughly in warm water.
5. Repeat the process as many times as needed to remove as much heat as desired.
Note: I only had to repeat once for the habaneros.
A: Hello Larry:
This is a Tell Dave rather than an Ask Dave. But thanks and I’ll pass the information on to my readers.–Dave