Tsuma Nzole Kalu's Special Sauce
This recipe was collected in Mombasa, Kenya. Serve it over grilled or barbecued meats and poultry.
- 4 fresh pili pili chiles or red jalapenos, seeds and stems removed
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamon seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 Ukwaju Kenyan lemon or 1 lime, juiced
- Additional water if necessary
Combine the chiles, spices, salt and water in a blender and puree to a thick paste. Transfer to a jar, add the lemon or lime juice and enough water to make the mixture easily pourable. Shake well and set aside for a few hours to let the flavors blend.