- 1 whole head of garlic
- olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 medium Russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp snipped chives
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- red chile powder
- Trim the garlic head about 1/4 inch. Drizzle the olive oil over the head of garlic and wrap in foil.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 45 minutes. Or, place the garlic on a microwave-safe plate, cover, and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the cloves of garlic are soft enough to be squeezed out.
- Mash the cloves thoroughly and set aside.
- Peel and quarter the potatoes, and place them in a saucepan of boiling, salted water. Boil for 15 to 25 minutes until they are easily pierced with a knife.
- Drain the potatoes, return them to the saucepan, add the butter and 1/3 cup of the milk. Mash until the potatoes are of a smooth consistency, adding more milk if necessary. (The amount of milk may vary, depending on the age of the potatoes.)
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Place the potatoes in a warm serving dish, and dot with more butter and a sprinkle of red chile powder, if desired.
Share this Recipe